Frequently Asked Questions

ABOUT LAKE LURÉ CANDLES

What's the best way to burn a Lake Luré candle?


Our recommended burn time is 3-4 hours. Make sure to trick the wick to 1/4" before each lighting. Don't forget to always allow the melt pool to reach the edges of the jars before extinguishing. This will ensure that the candle burns properly and prevents tunneling. Be sure never to leave a candle unattended or in reach of children, pets or a draft. Allow the jar to cool completely before handling.




Why soy wax?


We choose to work with soy wax for a variety of reasons. We love that it's an 100% renewable resource and carbon neutral. We love that it burns more cleanly - and better yet - for a longer period of time than paraffin. We love the way soy wax smells mixed with a good fragrance. Soy candles are better for the environment and your health: they are non-toxic and burn cleaner than paraffin wax. It produces as much as 90% less soot than paraffin wax. This soot can blacken walls, ceilings, and furniture, contaminate ventilation ductwork in your home, and most importantly, add toxic carcinogens into the air that you breathe.
Soy also helps U.S. farmers by creating important economic growth for the agricultural sector of the US economy.




Are your fragrances phthalate free? What is a phthalate?


All our fragrances are phthalate free. Phthalates are used to dissolve raw materials in apothecary goods, medicine, and fragrances. Recently there has been concern linking high levels of phthalates to health issues, especially in children. While there are no regulations against phthalate use in candles, we decided not to work with fragrances with phthalates in them. The levels of phthalates typically found in a candle are not harmful to a consumer or manufacturer, but we decided that simpler is always better